Dive with the Sharks at Cairns Aquarium
Cairns Aquarium's Dive with the Sharks experience gives you the opportunity to come face to face with reef sharks, large stingrays, groupers and other Great Barrier Reef marinelife while diving in our huge marine tanks.
You do not need diving experience or a certification to experience Dive with the Sharks. The minimum age to dive is 14 years. This is a guided dive experience.
Dive With The Sharks includes
- Introduction to Scuba Dive brief and training session (approx. 90 minutes)
- Dive experience in the Dive Tank with the sharks, stingrays and other Coral Sea creatures. (approx. 30 minutes)
- All required diving equipment and wet suit
- Dive with the Sharks Certificate of completion
- All day general admission entry to the Cairns Aquarium
What to bring:
- All scuba equipment will be provided including wetsuit.
Your Dive with the Sharks Itinerary
- 12.00 Meet at Cairns Aquarium admissions and complete Dive Medical Check
- 12.30 Commence dive briefing & dive skills
- 14.00 Dive with the Sharks in the Cairns Aquarium Reef Tank
- 14.30 Conclude dive, shower
- 15.00 Receive dive certificate
What to know before you book:
- Available 12pm Mon-Fri (not available on Wekkends & Public Holidays)
- Total duration: 2.5 - 3 hours
- No previous diving experience required
- Medical check – must pass to complete dive
The Cairns Aquarium is located in the very heart of Cairns, there are many ways of getting to the Aquarium: you can walk, bike, bus, or drive to the facility with ease. 5 Florence St Cairns, Queensland, Australia
Cairns Aquarium is within easy walking distance of most accommodation. We are one block from The Esplanade, two blocks from the Lagoon Pool and an easy 5 mins walk from the Cruise Terminal.
Driving & Parking
The Cairns Aquarium is easily accessible by car however there is no onsite parking. Car parking is available in the surrounding streets, also hourly and daily fees may apply for metered parking.
Bus Drop off
Tour and school buses can drop off passengers in front of The Cairns Aquarium on Florence Street. Please ask our Reservations Coordinator for details when making arrangements for your group.
We have bus services on Lake and Abbott Street, right outside the Aquarium. The Cairns Aquarium is conveniently located in the heart of Cairns, next to Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort and opposite DoubleTree by Hilton.
Can friends & family see me dive with the sharks?
Yes, friends and family can watch you from the dry side. They will need to pay for general admission tickets.
Will the dive guide be with me the whole time?
The dive instructor is with the diving guest from start to finish of the experience. They will meet and greet you for the introductory dive briefing session. Once this has concluded, you will then be taken into the water where you will practice the scuba skills you have just learnt. Once you are comfortable, you will be taken into the tank for the dive with the sharks experience.
How big is the tank we dive in?
The tank the guests will dive in is a designated section of the oceanarium, our largest tank at 1.8 million litres, and yes this is the tank the tunnel is connected to. It is home to our largest ocean predators, including reef sharks, rays, groupers and more.
Are there change rooms?
Yes, There are change rooms and showers for guests to use.
This is a great family activity. We had booked 2 tours via Travstar and we had no issues at all when we got to the tour sites. The 5D Sea Explorer is a MUST DO :)
Cairns Aquarium is within easy walking distance of most accommodation. We are one block from The Esplanade, two blocks from the Lagoon Pool and an easy 5 mins walk from the Cruise Terminal. 5 Florence St, Cairns City QLD 4870