Bruny Island Wilderness Cruise | Self Drive
Self-drive to Adventure Bay on Bruny Island and Join Robert Pennicott’s team on an unforgettable 3 Hour Wilderness Cruise. Experience Bruny Island’s rugged coastline aboard a custom-built yellow boat. Explore some of Australia’s highest sea cliffs, enter deep sea caves and join in the search for abundant coastal wildlife such as seals, dolphins, migrating whales and sea birds.
Voted Australia's Best Tourist Attraction 2012,2014 and 2015
Getting to Bruny Island
Allow around 2 hours to reach our the departure point at Adventure Bay on Bruny Island. To meet the 11am cruise we suggest you depart Hobart at 8am to meet the 9am Ferry.
Bruny Island is accessible by a vehicle ferry from Kettering, a 45 minute drive south of Hobart. The ferry crossing takes 20 minutes, and from there it's a 40 minute drive south to our visitor centre in Adventure Bay.
High Season & Additional Cruise Times
The 11am cruise operates year round. Between the 16th of December and the 28th of April we offer additional cruise times.
During this period the Ferry can be quite busy. We recommend selecting the Kettering transfer option where you park your car at Kettering and catch our daily tour bus, which joins up with the 3 Hour Wilderness Cruise.
Year Round 11am Wilderness Cruise
- 11:00am Cruise - catch the 8:30, 9:00 or 9:30 ferry. Check in at our visitor centre by 10:30 for the 11am cruise.
Additional Cruises (16th of December to the 28th of April)
- 10:00am Cruise - catch the 7:30, 8:00 or 8:30 ferry. Check in at our visitor centre by 9:30 for the 10am cruise.
- 1:30pm Cruise - catch the 11:30 or 12:00 ferry. Check in at our visitor centre by 1pm for the 1:30pm cruise.
- 2:15pm Cruise - catch the 11:30 or 12:00 ferry. Check in at our visitor centre by 1:45pm for the 2:15pm cruise.
We don't serve food on-board the boat, but meals can be purchased from our beachfront seafood restaurant on the day if desired.
Things To Bring
Make sure you dress warmly for the cruise - warm jackets, scarves, beanies and gloves are recommended. And don't forget your camera!
Wilderness Cruise + Kettering Bus Transfers
- 8.30am Meet the bus at our Kettering Meeting Point
- 8.45am Bus departs, ferry crossing to Bruny Island
- 10.30am Arrive at Bruny Island Cruises Booking Centre in Adventure Bay
- 11.00am Bruny Island Cruise departs
- 2.00pm Cruise concludes
- 3.15pm Bus departs, sightseeing
- 5.00pm Arrive back at Kettering
The bus departs at 8.45am from the Oyster Cove Marina in Kettering, where there is ample free parking available.
Morning Tea & Lunch
Food is not included in the tour price, but morning tea and lunch can be purchased on the day if desired. Morning tea includes a freshly baked blueberry muffin and a hot drink. Lunch is delicious homemade pumpkin soup and a gourmet salad roll with your choice of Tasmanian Atlantic Salmon or local ham. Gluten free and vegetarian options are available on request.
From Hobart, you'll need to drive 45 minutes south to the Bruny Island Ferry Terminal in Kettering. We suggest arriving at the ferry terminal 30 minutes prior to the ferry departure. The ferry crossing takes 20 minutes and once you're on Bruny Island, it's a 40 minute drive south to our visitor centre at 1005 Adventure Bay Road, Adventure Bay