Great Adventures | Outer Reef Pontoon
Great Adventures Outer Barrier Reef Platform
Experience breathtaking beauty of the Outer Great Barrier Reef with Great Adventures. From the comfort of the stable reef activity platform, this is the perfect base for swimmers and non-swimmers to explore. Snorkel and dive, visit the underwater observatory, cruise in a semi-sub, or just relax on the sundeck with a delicious buffet lunch - There is something here for everyone.
What Makes it Great!
- Spacious activity platform located on the Outer Barrier Reef
- Later departure time from Cairns
- Suitable for non-swimmers
- Biggest Semi Sub
- Excellent for Families
- Return Air-conditioned fast catamaran transfers
- Morning and afternoon tea
- 3 hours at the Outer Barrier Reef
- Delicious hot & cold 5 star buffet lunch
- Semi-submersible coral viewing tours
- Snorkelling equipment
- Buoyancy vests if required
- Underwater observatory
- Guided Eco Reef Talk in the underwater observatory
- Reef education presentation
The Pontoon features:
- Undercover seating and tables
- Full Bar Facilities
- Sun-deck with Sun-lounges
- Swimming enclosure for children
- Change rooms
- Freshwater showers
- Semi-submerged platform
- Great for Non-Swimmers
- Underwater observatory
- Semi-Submersible reef viewer
- Introductory scuba diving
- Certified diving
- Scuba-doo Scooter
- Scenic helicopter flights - Cruise / Fly options available
- Upgrade to Green Island & Outer Barrier Reef
- Guided snorkel tours
- Cairns City / Northern Beaches Transfers (Trinity Beach and Palm Cove)
- From 9.30am Check-in at Great Adventures Reservations Counter inside the Cairns Reef Fleet Terminal to obtain your boarding pass.
- 10:10am Vessel boarding. Complimentary morning tea/coffee served on boarding.
- 10:30am Depart Reef Fleet Terminal for the Outer Great Barrier Reef platform via Green Island.
- 11:20am Cake selection served on forward journey. During your journey to the reef, a Reef Presentation is shown on the vessel’s monitors. Snorkelling demonstration by crew.
- 12:30pm Arrive at the Outer Great Barrier Reef platform. Reef activities commence…Semi-submersible coral viewing tour with informative commentary departs every 30 minutes or as advised. Snorkel directly from the platform. Collect your snorkel gear and buoyancy vests once on the platform. Underwater observatory is open throughout the day for coral and fish viewing. Pre-booked optional activities including introductory diving, Scuba-Doo and scenic helicopter flights commence as advised.
- 1.00-2.30pm Hot and cold buffet lunch is served. Time for more reef activities or just relax on the sundeck and take in the views!
- Tea and coffee is available whilst at the platform
- 3:30pm A blast on the ship's horn will signal the time when all passengers should return to the vessel ready for departure.
- 3:45pm Departure to Cairns via Green Island. Complimentary cheese and biscuits served on homeward journey.
- 5:30pm Arrive Cairns Reef Fleet Terminal
What to bring:
- Swimming costume and beach towel
- Hat, sunscreen, sunglasses
- Money for drinks, souvenirs and optional activities
Multi-lingual staff members: Great Adventures does have Japanese and Chinese crew members on this boat all year round. Please request this option when booking so that we can make sure the staff member is working on your day of travel. German, Italian and Korean speakers also work as crew on Great Adventures.
Appreciate if there were vegan options available for tea, coffee and snacks as well.
All we got was vegan lunch.
Great Adventures delivered everything they said they would in their brochure - a great day.
Staff were very positive (e.g. Nadine), food was great and it was a comfortable trip to the outer reef and back. My kids aged 9 and 11 loved the whole experience with Wally the Wrasse the highlight of their trip
Could not fault any part of this excursion except for the cost.
fantastic day had by all which was only marred unfortunately by bad weather! went scuba diving, instructor greg was excellent plus!
What a wonderful holiday! Fantastic assistance from Travstar and a very big welcome from everyone in Cairns. The friendly service was outstanding. The food was first rate and the sunsets amazing. Thankyou to Travstar for organising two wonderful events for us. We will always remember our time in Cairns as beautiful and extremely relaxing.
9am Check-in at Great Adventures Reservations Counter inside the Cairns Reef Fleet Terminal to obtain your boarding pass.