Port Arthur Shuttle from Hobart | Return Trip
The Port Arthur Shuttle departs Hobart at 10:30am & Returns at 5:30pm. Travel time from Hobart is 1.5 hours. You will have 4 hours to explore the Historic Port Arthur. You have time to join a 40-minute guided introductory walking tour and a 25-minute Harbour boat cruise whilst at the historic site.
The Port Arthur Historic Site covers more than 40 hectares (100 acres) of open land. While you will explore a number of intact buildings during your visit, many of our historic ruins are without roofs, and most of your visit will be spent outdoors.
The site’s coastal location means we can experience sudden weather changes, so make sure you’re prepared for sun, rain, wind, cold and warmth!
What makes it Great:
- The only dedicated Port Arthur Return Shuttle from Hobart
- 8 pick-up locations around Hobart city
- 4 hours at Port Arthur
- Stop at Pirates Bay lookout for photos
- Small & personalised tour (maximum 24 participants)
Your day at a glance:
- Depart Hobart 10:30am.
- Arrive Port Arthur 12:00pm.
- 4 Hours to explore Port Arthur
- Depart Port Arthur 4:00pm
- Arrive Hobart 5:30pm
Port Arthur Entry Fees | Valid to 31st March 2020
Entry to Port Arthur is not included in the cost of the shuttle. You can purchase entry on the day of travel at Port Arthur or pre book
- Adult (18+ years) - $40.00
- Concession - $30.00
- Child (7 - 17 years) - $18.00
- Child (0 - 7 years) - Free Entry
- Family - $102.00 (2 Adults and up to 6 children)
Your site entry ticket gives you two consecutive days to experience the attractions and activities at Port Arthur.
Port Arthur Entry Fees include
- Access to more than 30 historic buildings
- Heritage gardens
- Walking trails
- 40-minute, guided Walking Tour - Book the 12.30pm
- 25-minute Harbour Cruise - Book the 1.40pm
- Entry to the Port Arthur Gallery
Port Arthur Gallery
Experience interactive exhibits and displays that tell the story of the Port Arthur Historic Site and its people.
A courtesy shuttle service is also available for people with restricted mobility (available between 10:30am and 3:30pm each day, with an extended service offered during summer).
Departure times & locations - No bus tickets are sold at the stops - You must pre purchase your ticket and select pick-up location
- 9:55 am - Quest Trinity House - 149 Brooker Highway, Queens Domain TAS - Wait on Brooker Hwy
- 10:05 am - Prince of Wales Hotel 55 Hampden Road, Battery Point TAS - Wait on Hampden road
- 10:10 am Travelodge - 167 Macquarie Street, Hobart TAS - Wait on Harrington St
- 10:15 - Best Western Hobart 156 Bathurst Street, Hobart TAS - Wait on Harrington St
- 10:20 am - St David’s Cathedral 23 Murray Street, Hobart TAS – Wait on Murry Opposite Hadley’s Hotel
- 10:25 - Tasmanian Travel and Information Centre 16-20 Davey St, Hobart – Wait on the corner of Davey and Elizabeth
- 10:30 - Old Wool Store 1 Macquarie Street, Hobart - Wait outside on Macquarie St
- 10:45 - Travel Lodge Hobart Airport 1 Holyman Avenue, Cambridge - Wait outside main entrance
- Arrives Port Arthur at 12pm departs at 4pm.
Things to bring
- Prepare for all temperatures, hat, sunnies, sunscreen, a bottle of water and some snacks.
- Always bring warm clothing, and a rain jacket
- Don't forget your camera as there are plenty of photo opportunities!
Traveling with children:
- Infants can share seats with parents.
- No child seats and capsules available.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult.
Discover the hidden stories of Port Arthur through the ‘Hidden Stories’ Activity Book. This activity book is a great way for children to explore the site and learn about Port Arthur’s history as they search for answers, complete puzzles and collect stamps.
The activity book is free of charge and suitable for ages 7-12. Ask for a copy at the ticketing desk when you arrive at the Port Arthur Visitor Centre.
- Please inform us if you require room for a pram.
- Please indicate if you are carrying excess baggage.
Instant Booking & Mobile Friendly Tickets
Check availability & book here to secure you spot on Port Arthur Shuttle Express. Pre-booking is essential.
Port Arthur Tours compatible with the Shuttle
A number of tours are available at an extra cost on the day. You can pre-book these or purchase when you arrive at Port Arthur.
Isle of the Dead cemetery tour
Daily at 1:00pm and 2:20pm
- Adult $20
- Child $10
- Family $45
- Concession $20
The Isle of the Dead holds the stories of many of the people of Port Arthur – in life and death.
Port Arthur’s tiny cemetery island is the final resting place for more than 1000 convicts, military and civil officers, women and children, who were buried here between 1833 and 1877. The Isle of the Dead has two separate burial sections – convicts were laid to rest in mostly unmarked graves at the island’s southern end, while the higher northern end was reserved for free and military burials, marked by headstones. The anonymity of the convicts was somewhat redressed after 1850, when some convict graves were given headstones.
On this tour, you’ll journey to the island aboard the MV Marana, and take a guided walking tour of the island. You’ll hear the personal stories of convicts who were transported here from across the world, the soldiers who gave their lives to guard the prison, the officers, and their families who followed them to the ends of the earth.
Commandant’s Carriage Tour
Daily at 12.45 pm and 2.15 pm daily
- Adult $30
- Child $30
- Concession $30
Much like the Commandant and his guests, you too can enjoy exclusive access to Port Arthur Historic Site.
Take the walking out of your time at Port Arthur, and explore the site in the comfort of our electric vehicle. This 90-minute guided tour will take you to some of the site’s most significant buildings, including the Penitentiary, the Separate Prison, and the Convict Church. As you tour the site and the buildings, your expert guide will offer fascinating insights into the people and characters who lived, worked, and served their time at Port Arthur.
Dining & Food Options at Port Arthur
Port Arthur Historic Site offers dining options to suit everyone – from quick and delicious sandwiches made fresh in our cafe, to the tempting menu in the 1830 restaurant.
With sweeping views of the Penitentiary, gardens and grounds, the 1830 restaurant is a perfect place to enjoy a long, relaxed meal with friends. Our menu uses fresh seasonal produce sourced from local growers and producers, and you can choose your favourite from our range of fine Tasmanian wines, craft beer, whisky and spirits
The 1830 Restaurant and Bar is open every day from 4pm
Port Arthur Café
Our expanded café on the upper level of the Visitor Centre, offers you a range of options to satisfy your appetite during your visit.
Enjoy freshly brewed coffee and sweet treats, thirst quenching cold drinks, beers, wines and spirits, and fresh, delicious food, all made on site using local ingredients.
If you’re in a hurry to explore, pick up a pack of tasty sandwiches for a picnic in the grounds, or if it’s time for a reviving break, choose something cooked to order in our kitchens and relax inside or on our deck as you soak up views of the site.
Museum Coffee Shop
The Museum Coffee Shop located in the Asylum is open every day except Saturdays, from 10:30am until 3:30pm, and is the perfect place to drop in after your introductory tour.
Enjoyable in all weather conditions with both indoor and outdoor dining space you can enjoy a good coffee, homemade cakes, delicious snacks and light meals.
The Port Arthur Shuttle departs Hobart at 10:30am & Returns at 5:30pm. Travel time from Hobart is 1.5 hours. You will have 4 hours to explore the Historic Port Arthur.