Port Arthur & Tasman Peninsula Tour
Enjoy a fun and action-packed day out on the Tasman Peninsula. Explore convict history at Port Arthur Historic Site, view amazing scenery and panoramic landscapes from Tasman Peninsula and Pirates Bay Lookout, and visit Federation Chocolate Factory.
What makes it Great:
- Enjoy stories from Pirates Bay Lookout & The “Dogline”
- Tasman National Park highlights, Devils Kitchen and Tasman Arch
- One of Tasmania's "Great Short Walks" categorised as easy walk
- Sample local chocolates at Federation Chocolate Factory
- Visit the historic Richmond Village
- Enjoy the spectacular view at a local Hobart City lookout
- Great photograph opportunities of Waterfall Bay
- Port Arthur Historic Site entrance fee
- Guided walking tour of Port Arthur Historic Site
- Port Arthur Harbour Cruise
- Professional guides & interpretation
- Small, friendly groups
- Central Hobart Hotel & Backpacker Hostel pick-up and drop-off
- Airport drop-offs on request. Please advise flight number in notes.
Departure times & locations
- Departs: Hobart 7.30am
- Returns: Hobart 6.00pm
- Pick-up time: We offer a central city hotel or backpacker hostel pick up from 7.00am to 7.30am depending on your location
Your day at a glance:
Today is action packed and fast paced, so we make an early start from Hobart and drive directly to the stunning Tasman Peninsula. This area has amazing history, fascinating stories and spectacular scenery. It is also home to Australia’s highest sea cliffs. We enjoy the panoramic views of the area from Pirates Bay Lookout which provides a great vantage here of the surrounding area.
Passing through Eaglehawk Neck and “The Dogline” our Tour Guides will share with you some truly amazing history and stories of the area.
Then we begin one of Tasmania’s “Great Short Walks”. We follow a spectacular track, of around 2 km’s along the Waterfall Bay cliff top. The walk takes around 45-60 minutes, is undulating, but categorised as an easy walk. The track concludes at the remarkable rock formations of Tasman Arch and Devil’s Kitchen.
Continuing our journey, we arrive at the Port Arthur Historic Site. As we enter the Port Arthur Historic Site, there is a wealth of information and history to take in and you will have ample time to explore and discover the nooks and crannies with around 4 hours on site. Your entry includes a complimentary Harbour Cruise around the Isle of the Dead and a guided walking tour with one of the Site’s expert guides. Discover the grim and violent history of the early Australian Penal system and get a sense of the isolation experienced by the convicts in this “inescapable prison”. With around 4 hours here, you have ample time to walk amongst the main penitentiary; see the solitary confinement cells and many more buildings in this World Heritage open air museum.
On our return to Hobart, we make a stop at Federation Chocolate Factory, a small family run boutique chocolate stop, with a variety of chocolate flavours to sample. Further along we arrive in the late afternoon into historic Richmond Village. Meander the streets, stop for a coffee, visit the Lolly Shop and walk across Australia’s oldest bridge still in use – a convict built sand-stone bridge, reported to be haunted!
Finally, before we re-enter Hobart we stop for a fabulous view across Hobart from a local lookout. A picturesque way to return to the city.
Things To Bring
- Sensible shoes for day touring
- A variety of warm clothing
- Weatherproof jacket if possible
- Hat, sunscreen
- Water Bottle, Snacks, Lunch (or buy it on the day)
- Sense of adventure
Minimum age to participate in tour is 8 years. Participants aged 8 – 17 years travel at concession prices.
Instant Booking & Mobile Friendly Tickets
- Check availability & book here to secure you spot on Port Arthur & Tasman Peninsula Tour. Pre-booking is essential. Please do not turn up on the day without a booking.
- If you require hotel transfers please have your hotel name ready when booking so we can send you a pick-up time with your confirmation.
About Tours Tasmania
Tours Tasmania is a family owned and operated Tasmanian business. Our guides are 100% dedicated to enlighten and enliven your tour with us in this beautiful part of the world. Our guides are there to walk the tracks, explain about the things we see, help you to spot the local wildlife along the way and show you the small things that you may normally miss. All this and more is possible with a small group. Our tour buses are all Toyota Hiace Commuters. These are small buses that seat 12 or 13 passengers on board.
We offer a Hobart central city hotel or backpacker hostel pick up from 7.00am to 7.30am depending on your location