Great Adventures | Outer Barrier Reef Experience
Cruise in comfort aboard our modern, fast catamaran to a spacious activity platform moored at a magnificent site on the outer edge of the Great Barrier Reef. Here, in this pristine marine wilderness, the marine biodiversity is at its most extreme.
With activities for swimmers and non-swimmers, visitors of all ages can get close to nature and appreciate the values of this wondrous World Heritage environment.
Snorkel and dive amongst coral gardens home to extraordinary marine life and rainbow coloured tropical fish. If you choose to stay dry you can still embrace the natural wonderland below from the underwater observatory and the comfort of the spacious semi-submersible.
Great Adventures - Great Barrier Reef Inclusions:
- Return air-conditioned fast catamaran cruise
- Tea & coffee served until departure from Cairns
- Morning tea cake selection on outward journey
- Photo opportunity of Green Island en-route to the Outer Reef
- 3 hours at the Outer Reef Activity Platform
- Delicious hot & cold buffet lunch with prawns
- Semi-submersible coral reef viewing tour
- Use of Snorkelling equipment
- Buoyancy vests if required
- Underwater observatory
- Eco Reef Talk with marine naturalist in underwater observatory
- Reef education presentation
- Afternoon tea and coffe available whilst at the platform
- Cheese and biscuits on return journey
- EMC levy included in price
The Pontoon features:
- Undercover seating and tables
- Full Bar Facilities
- Sun-deck with Sun-lounges
- Swimming enclosure for children
- Change rooms
- Freshwater showers
- Semi-submerged platform
- Great for Non-Swimmers
- Underwater observatory
- Semi-Submersible reef viewer
- Introductory scuba diving
- Certified diving
- Scuba-doo Scooter
- Scenic helicopter flights - Cruise / Fly options available
- Upgrade to Green Island & Outer Barrier Reef
- Guided snorkel tours
- Cairns City / Northern Beaches Transfers (Trinity Beach and Palm Cove)
- From 9.30am Check-in at Great Adventures Reservations Counter inside the Cairns Reef Fleet Terminal to obtain your boarding pass.
- 10:10am Vessel boarding. Complimentary morning tea/coffee served on boarding.
- 10:30am Depart Reef Fleet Terminal for the Outer Great Barrier Reef platform via Green Island.
- 11:20am Cake selection served on forward journey. During your journey to the reef, a Reef Presentation is shown on the vessel’s monitors. Snorkelling demonstration by crew.
- 12:30pm Arrive at the Outer Great Barrier Reef platform. Reef activities commence…Semi-submersible coral viewing tour with informative commentary departs every 30 minutes or as advised. Snorkel directly from the platform. Collect your snorkel gear and buoyancy vests once on the platform. Underwater observatory is open throughout the day for coral and fish viewing. Pre-booked optional activities including introductory diving, Scuba-Doo and scenic helicopter flights commence as advised.
- 1.00-2.30pm Hot and cold buffet lunch is served. Time for more reef activities or just relax on the sundeck and take in the views!
- Tea and coffee is available whilst at the platform
- 3:30pm A blast on the ship's horn will signal the time when all passengers should return to the vessel ready for departure.
- 3:45pm Departure to Cairns via Green Island. Complimentary cheese and biscuits served on homeward journey.
- 5:30pm Arrive Cairns Reef Fleet Terminal
What to bring:
- Swimming costume and beach towel
- Hat, sunscreen, sunglasses
- Money for drinks, souvenirs and optional activities
Instant Booking & Mobile Friendly Tickets
Check availability & book here to secure you spot on Great Adventures Great Barrier Reef Pontoon
Pre-booking is essential. Please do not turn up on the day without a booking.
Special Child & Family Rates
We offer special rates for families. Please check the booking form for up to date family pricing for your group.
Infants (3 Years & Under) travel free
Children (4 - 14 years) 47% Off
Family (2 Adults & 2 Children) 1 Child Travels Free
Multi-lingual staff members: Great Adventures does have Japanese and Chinese crew members on this boat all year round. Please request this option when booking so that we can make sure the staff member is working on your day of travel. German, Italian and Korean speakers also work as crew on Great Adventures.
Appreciate if there were vegan options available for tea, coffee and snacks as well.
All we got was vegan lunch.
Great Adventures delivered everything they said they would in their brochure - a great day.
Staff were very positive (e.g. Nadine), food was great and it was a comfortable trip to the outer reef and back. My kids aged 9 and 11 loved the whole experience with Wally the Wrasse the highlight of their trip
Could not fault any part of this excursion except for the cost.
fantastic day had by all which was only marred unfortunately by bad weather! went scuba diving, instructor greg was excellent plus!
What a wonderful holiday! Fantastic assistance from Travstar and a very big welcome from everyone in Cairns. The friendly service was outstanding. The food was first rate and the sunsets amazing. Thankyou to Travstar for organising two wonderful events for us. We will always remember our time in Cairns as beautiful and extremely relaxing.
Check-in at Great Adventures Reservations Counter inside the Cairns Reef Fleet Terminal to obtain your boarding pass.