Palm Cove Kayak Turtle Half Day Tour
Hop in a kayak and paddle from Palm Cove to Double Island, where mangroves and coral reefs await. Along the way, you’ll meet turtles, fish, and small rays, and, if you’re lucky, even dolphins and whales. No previous kayaking experience is needed, and the tour is suitable for all; kids as young as seven can take part. Even better: Shuttle bus transfers are included from Cairns hotels for a convenient trip.
What makes it great
- Start early to avoid the midday heat and enjoy a morning tea on arrival
- Make use of a hotel pickup and waste no time finding the meeting point
- Enjoy a Palm Cove kayak experience that’s fun for children and adults alike
- Discover one of the closest parts of the Great Barrier Reef to the mainland
- Light refreshments
- Local guide
- Use of all necessary equipment: Kayaks, Lifejackets and Paddling Equipment
- Environmental Management Charges - All participants must pay $6.50 per person
- Hotel Pick Up Fees - $20 per person (if requested)
Departure times & locations
- Departs from Cairns at 7:00AM (morning) & 1:30PM (afternoon). Please come 15 minutes before the tour starts.
- Pickup Time In Cairns (approx) - 45 minutes before the tour starts ($20 p/p return)
Your day at a glance
The Kayak Turtle Tour is the ultimate kayaking experience. Departing from Palm Cove, we paddle our way over to the coral reefs that fringe Double Island and Haycock Island (Scouts Hat).
Our first stop is our turtle spot. This is the place where the green turtle and the hawksbill turtle can be seen basking in the ocean. More often than not we have numerous turtle sightings. This is an exciting part of the trip for all of our customers.
From here on, we either travel to the north side of the island or we move in to the south side and explore the mangroves, depending on what the tides are doing and the wind direction. Its not uncommon to see many rays and shovel nosed sharks playing and feeding in the shallows along the tidal part of the beach.
If we venture to the north side of the island and with a low tide, we will check out the lime stone cave. When the tide is right, we go right inside the cave. Here we find small stalactites hanging from the roof of the cave. This is always a popular part of the tour for everyone.
Next stop is the beach for a swim and some fresh fruit and juice. We have snorkelling equipment on hand too (free of course) , so if anyone feels like a snorkel, you are more than welcome to give it a go.
After all this, its time to head home. If the northerly wind kicks in, we head back to Palm Cove. If the wind comes from the south or south-east, we head further downwind to one of the northern beaches, where our van is on standby to pick us all up. Either way, the trip home is always easy, because we use the wind to push us back. We even have a sail that we put up to pull us all along.
Travelling with children
Children between the ages of 4-14 years will be applicable for child rates. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
We offer special rates for familes. Please check the booking for form for up to date family pricing.
Things To Bring
Sunglasses, Water, Sunscreen, Waterproof Camera, A Sense Of Adventure
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travellers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travellers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travellers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travellers
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking. If you require hotel transfers please have your hotel name ready when booking so we can send you a pick-up time with your confirmation.
Instant Booking & Mobile Friendly Tickets
Check availability & book here to secure you spot on Palm Cove Kayak Turtle Half Day Tour. Pre-booking is essential. Please do not turn up on the day without a booking.
About Pacific Watersports
We are a family run watersports business from Cairns to Port Douglas since 2012. We are dedicated to offering amazing on the water experiences. We have boat, kayak snorkelling and paddleboarding tours around Double Island. We also teach kitesurfing at Double Island, Palm Cove and Yorkeys Knob. There is definitely something here to suit everyone.
CHECK IN TIME: Please come 15 minutes before the tour starts
DEPARTURE TIME: 7:00AM (morning) 1:30PM (afternoon)
PICKUP TIME IN CAIRNS: 45 minutes before the tour starts