Maria Island Day Tour from Hobart
A Noah's Ark for Tasmanian wildlife, spectacular scenery, unique geology and world heritage history. Maria Island is just one hour’s drive from Hobart to the ferry and 30 minutes across the water.
Welcome to the great outdoors!! Hike around the island with a knowledgeable guide, swim in sheltered bays. The island is a haven for abundant willife, it is one of Tasmania's bird watching hot spots. Wombats can be seen around the island, as well as Pademelons, Forester Kangaroos, Bennetts wallabies and Tasmanian Devils.
What makes it Great:
- Explore Maria Island National Park (6hrs)
- Watch for Dolphins & Whales on the ferry journey (30 mins each way)
- Walk to beautiful “Painted Cliffs” and wander amongst the unusual rock formation
- Walk to dramatic “Fossil Cliffs”
- Explore and discover the geological history amongst the exposed fossils
- Discover the convict history at the Darlington World Heritage convict site
- Be amazed at the abundant wildlife enjoying life on their amazing island
- Relax and take in all the stunning secluded bays and beaches in this paradise setting
- National Park entrance fees
- Return boat cruise to Maria Island
- Professional guides and interpretive walks
- Small, friendly groups
- Central Hobart Hotel & Backpacker Hostel pick up and drop off
- Airport drop-offs on request with prior arrangement
- Food and drinks (We suggest bring your lunch, or there will be the opportunity to purchase in the morning)
Departure times & locations
- Days: Tuesday & Thursday (01 Dec – 31 March)
- Pre-bookings are essential
- Departs: Hobart 7.30am. Hotel pickup time is between 6:30am and 7:00am depending on your location. Hotel pickup is available from central city Hotels and Hostels ( no AirBnB’s).
- Returns: Hobart 6.30 - 7.00pm
Your day at a glance:
- Early morning central city hotel pick-up
- The ferry is just one hour's drive from Hobart, in a climate-controlled vehicle
- Thirty minutes across the water, brings us to Maria Island - a stunning island National Park.
- Setting out on foot, enjoy a series of moderate walks with your guide to take in the scenic landscape.
- Look for resident wildlife such as Tasmanian Devils in the wild, along with Wallabies, Forester Kangaroos, Cape Barren Geese, Wombats, and Little Penguins.
- Explore the beautiful Painted Cliffs, the dramatic Fossil Cliffs and the remarkable Darlington World Heritage convict site.
- With no cars on the island the area is peaceful and slow paced.
- Pristine white-sand beaches are perfect for summer swimming in sheltered bays.
- Soak up island life.
- Scan the ocean for Dolphins, Seals, Penguins, and migrating Whales (seasonal).
- Throughout the day, your guide shares informative commentary about the island's history and wildlife.
- Expect to walk at a leisurely pace on walking trails that are suitable for people with a moderate level of fitness.
- At the end of the day, your tour ends with hotel drop-off in Hobart.
- We hope you enjoy a day of discovery rich in environmental and cultural history.
Things to bring - Please come prepared
- Ensure you have comfortable walking shoes, suitable for 10 km's of walking trails
- A day pack with a variety of warm clothing - beanie, hat, gloves
- Weatherproof jacket if possible
- Hat, sunscreen
- Large water bottle
- Bring snacks with you
- Bring lunch if you have dietary requirement (or, you will have opportunity to purchase in the morning on the day)
- Sense of adventure
Minimum age to participate in tour is 8 years. Participants aged 8 – 17 years travel at concession prices.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 19 travelers
Instant Booking & Mobile Friendly Tickets
- Check availability & book here to secure you spot on Maria Island Day Tour. Pre-booking is essential. Please do not turn up on the day without a booking.
- If you require hotel transfers please have your hotel name ready when booking so we can send you a pick-up time with your confirmation.
About Tours Tasmania
Tours Tasmania is a family owned and operated Tasmanian business. Our guides are 100% dedicated to enlighten and enliven your tour with us in this beautiful part of the world. Our guides are there to walk the tracks, explain about the things we see, help you to spot the local wildlife along the way and show you the small things that you may normally miss. All this and more is possible with a small group. Our tour buses are all Toyota Hiace Commuters.
Departs: Hobart 7.30am. Hotel pickup time is between 6:30am and 7:00am depending on your location. Hotel pickup is available from central city Hotels and Hostels ( no AirBnB’s).
Returns: Hobart 6.30 - 7.00pm