HMAS Brisbane Dive Day Trip from Mooloolaba
The Ex-HMAS Brisbane is one of the world’s best wreck sites, and this decommissioned guided missile destroyer that now serves as a lively artificial reef. During this scuba diving adventure for certified divers you will explore the site of the HMAS Brisbane, located just off the Sunshine Coast, Queensland. While scuba diving you will not only get to explore the impressive ruins of the HMAS Brisbane, you will also see a wonderful range of marine life.
There are two mid-ship moorings on the Ex-HMAS Brisbane that Sunreef has exclusive use of, so divers can enjoy two beautiful dives to see the entire site, comfortably and safely.
What makes it great?
- Scuba diving adventure to HMAS Brisbane, a decommissioned guided missile destroyer that was scuttled 2.9 nautical miles off the Sunshine Coast
- Explore the impressive ruins, including Australia's best military wreck
- Accessible for all levels of scuba divers
- Return boat trip
- Light snacks on board, as well as hot snacks on return (available for Double Dive)
- Marine Park permits
Gear available for hire at additional cost.
Departure times & locations:
- Departure Point: 123 Parkyn Parade, Mooloolaba QLD 4557, Australia
- Departure Time: 7am-8:30am or 11:30am-12pm (midday). Guests must contact the Dive Centre between 3-5pm the prior to their trip to confirm their departure time.
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
Your day at a glance:
- When you arrive, we will see you at our check in desk to see your diver certification card and ensure that your gear is organized. If you bring your own gear, our crew can carry it down to the dock and set it up for you, or if you prefer you will be free to do it yourself. If we know you are hiring gear, everything will be organized for you prior to check in.
- On departure to the Ex-HMAS Brisbane, our trained crew will provide a thorough briefing for all our divers about the Ex-HMAS Brisbane site and will answer any questions you may have about it.
- Once the boat exits the calm waters of the Mooloolaba River system, it is around a 15 minute ride to the site. The vessel will be moored and our crew will help you set up to get in the water.
- Your dive is planned to last for either 50 minutes or will end to have you on the surface with 50 bar (whichever one comes first).
- If you choose 2 dives, the first dive will explore the length and outside of the Ex-HMAS Brisbane. The second dive will discover the depths and inside of the vessel. Between dives, we will come up for a surface interval where you are provided snacks and water.
- The divers then return to the shop, where we will unload the vessel and wash all your gear for you if you so wish.
LOCAL INHABITANTS – MARINE LIFE OF THE EX-HMAS BRISBANE
On the Ex-HMAS Brisbane, you may frequently see many species of turtles, such as hawksbills, loggerheads, and more. There are large bull, shovel nose and eagle rays that visit often. Sometimes you may spot an octopus or three, camouflaging with the rest of the wreck site. If you look really close up you may find some nudibranchs living amongst the soft and hard corals of the site. You may cross paths with a leopard shark, the big local Queensland groupers, squid, yellowtail kingfish, red emperor, snapper, lion fish, angler fish, blennies, sea hares, batfish, and so much more.
Each diver must complete a Sunreef Diver Statement before diving with us. This will be sent out to you with your booking confirmation. If any of the medical questions on your Diver Statement or at check in are answered ‘YES’, a doctor’s clearance may be required before you can dive with us.
Please note if you have not dived in the last 2 years you will be required to complete a Scuba Review before you can participate in any diving activities.
If you have all your own equipment, please remember that to dive any of these sites at night, you must have a snorkel, computer, SMB, a whistle and two white light torches. If you are booked on for our Fluoro/UV Dive, you will be required to carry two white light torches as well as your UV torch. These items are required along with the rest of your scuba equipment (BCD, tanks, weights regulators, mask, snorkel, fins, wet suit, gloves).
If you don’t have all your equipment, all of the above required items are available for purchase or hire from our shop along with the rest of the necessary scuba equipment (BCD, tanks, weights regulators, mask, snorkel, fins, wet suit, gloves).
Things to bring:
Guests should bring swimwear, a towel, dry clothes to change into, sunscreen, hat, camera or GoPro and their dive equipment (if not hiring).
- Not wheelchair accessible
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking. Feel free to bring along your own snacks if you have allergies or would like more substantial food.
- This is also in Open Water and we suggest that you look into Seasickness medication to minimize the chance of it effecting your trip.
- The Wharf complex has all day parking available. We recommend that you park your vehicle in the Sea Life (Underwater World) car park at The Wharf Mooloolaba, 123 Parkyn Parade.
Instant Booking & Mobile Friendly Tickets
Check availability & book here to secure you spot on HMAS Brisbane Dive Day Trip from Mooloolaba. Pre-booking is essential. Please do not turn up on the day without a booking.
Sunreef Scuba Diving Services, based in Mooloolaba is the longest established dive centre on the Sunshine Coast (Queensland, Australia) with roots starting back in 1976. Sunreef Mooloolaba offers Australia’s first Swim with Humpback Whales experience, from July to October each year, as well as Whale Watching, Local Reef Dives, Flinders Reef Dives, Snorkeling Trips and Diving on the Ex-HMAS Brisbane. The Sunreef crew is a team of experienced and passionate professionals who love to share aquatic activities and the marine environment with others.
Departure Point: 123 Parkyn Parade, Mooloolaba QLD 4557, Australia
Departure Time: Check in at Sunreef starts at the time outlined on your confirmation email or text.